Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

New to LPL

Questions about the department and how things work? Contact the Main Office (Kuiper 325, 520-621-6963).

The University of Arizona is committed to creating and maintaining a work and learning environment that is safe, inclusive and free of discriminatory conduct prohibited by the Nondiscrimination and Anti-harassment Policy. The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) leads efforts to promote and uphold this policy and its goals, foster equity and opportunity, strengthen relationships across diverse groups, and support a campus culture of equality for all members of the University community.

Refer to the OIE web site for training and outreach, policies and procedures, and reporting and complaint investigations.

The University of Arizona offers various new employee orientations and trainings. For information about life at LPL, contact your supervisor, your administrative support staff, and Adriana Kelly in the Kuiper Business Office (Kuiper 339, 520-621-4497). LPL provides a New Employee Resource document, available from LPL Business Office forms

Orienting New Employees

Once a new employee is hired, an orientation partnership begins between the University and the employee to help the employee enjoy a successful and satisfying work/life experience.

An effective orientation should be on-going and not limited to the first few weeks of work. As a new employee, you should work closely with your supervisor and other colleagues in your unit or department to ensure that you have all the information and resources you will need to feel comfortable and prepared. A New Employee Checklist (PDF) is available to help you track your orientation progress.

As a new employee of the University of Arizona, there are many orientation activities available to assist you with your transition. Arizona Public Service Orientation was designed to acquaint you with some of the formal orientation programs offered on campus.

Yes, the Kuiper building has a gender neutral bathroom located in room 207A.

There is a Konica copier/printer/scanner located in room 351A of the Kuiper building. A PIN is required to use the machine. Contact PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmVxdWJjeHZhQG5ldm1iYW4ucnFoIj5lcXViY3h2YUBuZXZtYmFuLnJxaDwvbj4= or PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmp2Z2cxQG5ldm1iYW4ucnFoIj5qdmdnMUBuZXZtYmFuLnJxaDwvbj4= for a PIN and information.

Contact Bert Orosco at 520-621-6963 for assistant with classroom and conference room AV. If Bert is unavailable, call Mary Guerrieri at 520-621-2828.

Contact Sarah Lane-Gaxiola (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmZ5bmFyQGgubmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPmZ5bmFyQGgubmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+) or Kari Figueroa (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnhuZXZmQHljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+eG5ldmZAeWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg==) in the Kuiper Business Office (Kuiper 339) for access to the Kuiper bike cage (located under the gantry stairwell on the northeast corner of the building).

LPL/UA logos and templates are posted at UA/LPL Logos, Letterhead & Templates. You can visit the UA Brand site for access to UA graphics.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, commonly referred to as FERPA or the Buckley amendment, is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s educational record. FERPA applies to all educational agencies or institutions that receive federal funding for any program administered by the Secretary of Education.  FERPA also applies to private entities that contract to perform services for the University that it would otherwise undertake to perform on its own; in such cases, the private entity must observe the same FERPA protections applicable to the University. FERPA grants adult students (18 and older) the following rights:

  • The right to inspect and review their educational records
  • The right to seek the amendment of their educational records
  • The right to consent to the disclosure of their educational records
  • The right to obtain a copy of their school’s Student Records Policy
  • The right to file a complaint with the FERPA Office in Washington, D.C.

All faculty, staff, and students who work with students and educational records MUST review FERPA policy and complete the FERPA tutorial.

For keys to PTYS/LPL offices, supervisors should send an email to PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnhybGZAeWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoIj54cmxmQHljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaDwvbj4=; message should provide employee name, NetID and list of rooms for which keys are needed. Employee can then contact Sarah Lane-Gaxiola at PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmZ5bmFyQGgubmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPmZ5bmFyQGgubmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+. Send Sarah your catcard number and NetID.

The FAX number for LPL/Kuiper is 520-621-4933. The Kuiper FAX machine is located in the mailroom, Kuiper 315. Users will need to have their long-distance PIN phone codes to make dial a long-distance number.

Information about obtaining a UA CatCard is on the CatCard Office site. You will need a CatCard before obtaining keys to an office in Kuiper or Sonett.

To obtain your CatCard you must visit the CatCard Office located in the Student Union. Please be prepared with the following:

  • A government or state issued photograph identification such as a driver's license, state identification card, or passport. High school issued identification is NOT accepted as valid identification.
  • A completed and signed CatCard Terms and Conditions Form (PDF)
  • Students and affiliates pay $25 for their first card.
  • Faculty and staff are issued their first CatCard free of charge.

Please Note: When you apply for your CatCard, you will need to provide your student or employee identification number to verify your status at the University of Arizona. This information is needed because only students, faculty, staff, and some affiliates of the University of Arizona are eligible to receive a CatCard. This number will not appear on the face of your CatCard, but it will be encoded electronically on your card, to be used for necessary UA internal purposes only. The number will not be provided to outside entities without your prior consent.


  • Students must be enrolled in at least one class, or be participating in a New Student Orientation.
  • New employees must have been issued an employee identification number (EmplID) and show active status in the payroll system.

Depending on your job and title, there are several trainings and orientations you will need to complete (PCard training, Travel orientations, Conflict of Interest, ITAR, etc). Some of the university require trainings must be completed as part of the onboarding process and are linked from the New Employee Info Form.

Note especially:

Per Risk Management policy, anyone who drives for University business and/or drives a University vehicle must register with Risk Management and attend an approved course in defensive driving prior to being authorized to drive on University business. Visit Risk Management Service - Defensive Driving Training for more information.

Visit the EDGE Learning site to enroll in Defensive Driver Certification. Log in with Net ID.

Most of the information a new employee might need can be found at the U of A "New to the U" website. For any other additional questions on general new employee policies or procedures, please contact UA Human Resources or Adriana Kelly in the LPL Business Office, Kuiper 339.

If you are receiving salary or wages from the University of Arizona, you can establish Direct Deposit from UAccess Employee/Manager Self Service. Once logged in using your netID, go to Self Service (under Main Menu), then Payroll and Compensation, then Direct Deposit.

If you are a student who is not receiving salary or wages, you can establish Direct Deposit from your UAccess Student Center account.

  • Once logged in using your netID:
  • Click on the Account Inquiry link (under the Finances / My Account)
  • Click on the Web Refund Enrollment tab
  • Enter your direct deposit information
  • Click Enroll

Email PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmZsZkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPmZsZkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+ with problems regarding email, computing, hardware, software, etc.

Campus mail is picked up daily from the LPL mailroom in Kuiper 315. Please use envelopes marked “campus mail” and be sure to address all envelopes with correct/exact building and recipient. Please note that there are different bins for mail going to the Drake and Sonett buildings and mail going to other areas of campus. 

Contact Adriana Kelly in the LPL Business Office, Kuiper 339: PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOm5neHJ5eWxAeWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoIj5uZ3hyeXlsQHljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaDwvbj4=, 520-621-4497.

For more information about your health benefits visit UA Human Resources Employee Benefits .

There is 1 Konica Minolta copier in the Kuiper building (Kuiper 351A), 1 copier in the Sonett building, and 1 copier in the Drake building.

To use the copiers, submit a Konica Machine Pin Request form. Personnel in the LPL Business Office (Kuiper 339) will notify you when your PIN has been created. The PIN will be keyed to appropriate account number(s); scanning is free, but a PIN is required as a login.

If you encounter problems with the Kuiper copier, see Bert Orosco (Kuiper 325).

Kuiper building FedEx/UPS packages are delivered and picked-up from the LPL Business Office, Kuiper 339.

  1. FedEx shippers can print their own labels and establish billing with an FRS account number on the FedEx website.
  2. To schedule pickup, call 1-800-GOFEDEX (1-800-463-3339) and enter FedEx account number plus type of service required and time of pickup.

For detailed information or assistance regarding account numbers, etc., contact your group's administrative assistant or Kari Figueroa in the LPL Business Office (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnhuZXZmQHljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+eG5ldmZAeWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg==; 520-626-9007).

Shared (networked) printer in the Kuiper building (4th floor) is maintained by sys (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmZsZkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPmZsZkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+); contact sys for problems with ink, jams, etc.

Paper for these printers is available in the Kuiper mailroom, Kuiper 315.

LPL uses the LARS online scheduling system to reserve classrooms, laptops, a/v materials, and more. LPL staff can use their LPL email credentials to log into LARS. Off-campus access is available using the LPL email credentials. If you experience problems, contact PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmZsZkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPmZsZkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+; for other assistance in accessing LARS or making a reservation, contact the LPL Academic Office, 520-621-6963.

Check out the supply closet, Kuiper 335 or contact the Main Office (Kuiper 339, 520-621-6963).

Yes! The LPL Library is located in Kuiper 409; conference room key will unlock door, or contact Kuiper 325 (520-621-6963) for access.

Contact the following staffers:

  • Cathy Grijalva (Kuiper 323, 520-621-4954, PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnBuZ3VsdEB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPnBuZ3VsdEB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+) is the Kuiper building monitor.
  • Sue Robison (Sonett 107, 520-621-6950, PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmVib3ZmYmFmQGN2ZXkueWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoIj5lYm92ZmJhZkBjdmV5LnljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaDwvbj4=) is the Sonett building monitor.
  • Carlos Doe (Drake 104A, 520-626-1970, PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnBuZXliZnFickBuZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+cG5leWJmcWJyQG5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg==) is the Drake building monitor.

For after-hours emergencies, call the UA Facilities Management switchboard, 520-621-3000.

There is a lactation room located on the second floor of the Kuiper building. Contact the LPL Business Office (Kuiper 339) for information and access.

There are many resources available to the faculty and staff who work at the University of Arizona, including information available at the three links below:

Guidance from Ari Spinoza:

There is a large-format printer located in the Sonett building. Printer paper width is 42 inches. We can accommodate for posters that are longer, but then the height will be limited into 42 inches. (Of course, your poster does not need to be that large at all.)

We accept only a PDF of the poster. The file can be uploaded here:

While I will get a notification of an upload, send me an email specifying the print dimensions in “x by y inches” format.

We strongly discourage posters with dark or colored backgrounds. Honestly, it’s a big waste of ink for conference posters.

There is at least a one-day turnaround for prints; we do not print on the weekends or at 4:45 p.m. on a Friday. In other words, the sooner the better, especially if we run into a problem and need to recommend another print shop.

We do not charge, UNLESS we have to do a second one because of a spelling error or something like that.

Contact PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmx2ZmVucnlAbmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPmx2ZmVucnlAbmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+ for more information.

Go to the UA Our Brand Email Signature website and select "Arizona Login". Log in with your Net ID and password.

Information about RA/TA benefits, including tuition remission, health insurance, etc., is available online from the Graduate College.

All university policies are available online here: UA University Policies

There are many resources available to the faculty and staff who work at the University of Arizona, including information available at the two links below:

University policies and procedures are posted online at: UA University Policies

Graduate student parents are encouraged to consider applicable family care programs from UA Life & Work Connections, ranging from individual consultations and referrals, to Child Care Subsidy & Housing Program, lactation resources, and a University-subsidized Sick Child and Emergency/Back-up Care Program. Visit UA Life & Work to learn more about student child care and related programs.

Please also review resources listed on UA Graduate College New And Current Students, including child care subsidies and family friendly information. The Graduate College is dedicated to promoting and strengthening family relationships. Many resources have been designed to help graduate students balance and manage family, work, and school.

The Ombuds Program at the University of Arizona is an informal, neutral, confidential and independent resource for any academic or workplace concern. Visiting an ombuds can help you to understand a University policy, access appropriate individuals or resolve conflicts with other members of the University community. For more information, visit UA Ombuds.